Wednesday 18 May 2011

THE THAMES AT HAMMERSMITH

Have spent a couple of days in the studio working up paintings from a photos taken earlier in the year. I'm a great admirer of the work of Richard Pikesley (http://www.newenglishartclub.co.uk/shop/artist.asp?aID=58) and one of the techniques he has mastered is the use of really thin paint washes. It seems to me that it's just a quick and easy way to make things drop back in the picture. I tried this on the background buildings and was pleased that it worked well. 



Bellow is Hammersmith bridge from the southern towpath, just past Harrods Depository. Was pleased that the sharp edge on the curved opening below the main bridge support was captured, seems to draw the eye in to the focal point. Have been reading Harold Speed's The Practice and Science of Drawing, (originally written in 1917 but a seminal work, still worth a read!) I really appreciated his comment on page 186 "nature is the great storehouse of variety". How true. I would never have imagined this cloud formation had I not captured it from real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment