Sunday 11 December 2011

A TOUGH ONE RE-VISITED

I've stood under this tree on a couple of occasions during the summer, trying to catch the atmosphere of the place plein air, but without success. The issues making it difficult are: no horizon line, no direct view of the sky, reflections in the pond, the tree trunk being in almost complete shadow so having no tonal relief, the tree being close up so one is forced to paint the foliage in some detail, always a tricky thing to do! Oil in canvas 30cm x 40 


Teddington Lock 24cm x 30


Shops near Richmond Green 35cm x 35


2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about trying again and again to capture a specific scene. Your tree is lovely though so you can be very happy with yourself, I specially love the reflections on the water. Great composition again for the two others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Valerie, I'm glad it's not just me that often can't nail it first time! Though I read stories of artists from the past having 10 or more attempts at the same painting!

    ReplyDelete